Suches Georgia

 


Woody Gap School

In the late 1800s and early 1900s the schools were in the local churches. In the 1930s the people of the Suches valley realized the need for one school. The development began with community involvement, donated land, $5,000 of county funds and $10,000 from a bond. The school was built with local timber and quarried stone from nearby Woody Lake. In 1940 the school was dedicated and opened, but without a lunchroom, gym or playground equipment. The mothers of the community prepared meals and served them in the schools cellar until the lunchroom was added in 1954. The school is strongly supported by the community. The gym, baseball field and tennis court were all funded by the community and built by volunteer labor. The community again pulled together and with various fund raising projects, provided the school and students with computers and printers. In 1974 the Woody Gap School was designated as an isolated school by the Georgia Legislature, due to its location of approximately 3,000 feet above sea level and being accessible only by way of hazardous curvy mountain roads. The school provides classes from Pre-K through 12. In 1981 the school realized Standard School status and has been accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges since 1988.

Woody Gap School
2331 State Hwy. 60
Suches, GA 30572
706.747.2401
fax 706.747.1419


New Gymnasium

Suches Home Page